Functional Nutrition Testing
Functional nutrition testing helps us get to the root cause of your problems instead of playing whack-a-mole with symptoms and makes sure your nutrition plan is as individualized as possible.
DUTCH Hormone Testing
DUTCH stands for dried urine test for comprehensive hormones- the most comprehensive way to assess hormone imbalances. Blood tests are helpful but by utilizing the dried urine testing, we can see your hormone metabolites (breakdown products of your hormones) for a deeper understanding of your hormone function.
DUTCH tests adrenal hormones, sex hormones, hormone metabolites, and additional nutrition markers.
- Cortisol and cortisone and metabolites
- Estradiol, estone, estriol and metabolites
- Progesterone and metabolites
- Testosterone and metabolites
- DHEA and metabolites
- Vanilmandelate (VMA) – the primary norepinephrine and epinephrine metabolite
- Homovanillate (HVA) – the primary dopamine metabolite
- Methylmalonate (MMA) – elevated if patients are vitamin B12 deficient
- Xanthurenate – elevated if patients are vitamin B6 deficient
- Pyroglutamate – elevated if patients are glutathione deficient
I may recommend DUTCH testing for the following reasons
- Thyroid disorders
- Irregular menstrual cycle such as heavy periods, long period, painful periods, PMS, mid cycle spotting, or signs of “estrogen excess” (fibroids, painful periods, breast tenderness, moodiness, and more)
- Chronic stress
- Sleep issues
- Low libido
How it works
- We will do an initial nutrition consultation first to get some background knowledge on your situation, determine if DUTCH testing is right for you, and to start you on some nutrition and lifestyles changes while you wait for your test results. There are several different versions of DUTCH test so this appointment will help us determine which one is right for you.
- If decided appropriate, I will order the DUTCH test kit to be delivered directly to you.
- You will take the test in the privacy of your own home and send it back to the lab. The directions are included in the kit and are very clear.
- I will be notified when your results come in (2-3 weeks) and then we will schedule a 45 minute consultation to go over the results and set up a personalized nutrition and supplement plan (if indicated).
- You will likely need more than 1 consultation to see full results depending on your specific scenario and DUTCH findings. We will talk though if multiple consultation may be necessary during the consultation.
Micronutrients include vitamins, minerals, co-factors, amino acids, metabolites, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids. These nutrients are essential for human health and play important roles in energy production, immune function, and protection against oxidative stress and cellular damage.
Micronutrient status preconception plays a large role in fertility, the health of the pregnancy, long term health of the child, as well as long term health of the mother. Poor nutrient intake during and after pregnancy greatly increases risk of long term health problems in mothers including thyroid condition, osteoporosis, and autoimmune conditions.
Individuals with the following symptoms, diagnosis, or risk factors could benefits from micronutrient testing
- Depression or anxiety
- Skin problems
- weekend immune system
- Digestive disorders
- Long term use of prescriptions medications (including hormonal birth control)
- A diet high in processed foods
- Following a vegan or vegetarian diet
- Autoimmune disorders
Details about micronutrient testing
I utilize Vibrant America’s micronutrient test which directly measures extracellular (serum) and intracellular micronutrients to give a complete and accurate picture of micronutrient status. By assessing both extra- and intracellular levels, we are able to assess absorption of nutrients and thus root cause of malnutrition.
A nutrition initial assessment must be completed first to determine if micronutrient testing is appropriate and start you on nutrition and lifestyle adjustments to work on while waiting for results. Once the initial nutrition assessment appointment is completed, the testing kit will be sent directly to you. As soon as the results are received, a follow up appointment will be scheduled to go over results and determine a plan of action.
Additional Nutrition Testing
In certain instances, I may recommended additional testing. These tests can be completed at a lab location nearest to you.
- Vitamin D
- Iron status (ferritin, hemoglobin, TIBC, transferrin saturation)
- Blood sugar control (hemoglobin A1C, fasting insulin, fasting glucose)
- Thyroid (TSH, free T4, free T3, reverse T3, TPO antibodies, TgAb)
- and more
Insurance does not cover these tests.
If you have health insurance and a flexible doctor that is willing to order these tests, it may be best to go through them. However, insurance may not cover these tests for everyone and many conventional doctors might be hesitant to order them because they are less familiar with the nutrition related labs. I order these tests through a very reasonably priced company and pass those savings on to you.