Bibimbap is a Korean dish that translates to mixed rice and is typically served with sautéed vegetables, meat (typically beef), sauce, and topped with a fried egg. The sauce is usually composed of gochujang (a red pepper paste), doenjang (a fermented soybean paste), or soy sauce. In this recipe I opted for coconut aminos because that is what I had available but don’t be afraid to experiment with the more traditional Korean sauces.
In the pictures you will see less vegetables than what I recommended in the ingredient list because after making this dish, I realized we had more meat leftover without vegetables to go with it so next time I make this, I will include more vegetables. You can also use whatever vegetable varieties you like. Some ideas include bean sprouts, spinach, cucumber, daikon radish, or kimchi (fermented vegetables).
Traditionally, bibimbap would use short grain white rice but you can use brown rice or other varieties that fit your needs and preference.
Simple Bibimbap Recipe
Meat & Marinade:
- 1 pound beef mince or sliced beef I used carne picada but flank steak, rib eye, or sirloin sliced thin would also work
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 5 carrots
- 2 small zucchini or 1 large
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 4 green onions
- 4 eggs number of eggs should be the same as the number of people being served
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 servings prepared rice plan about ¼ - ½ cup dry rice per person
- 1 tbsp cooking oil sesame oil is preferred
- Combine meat with marinade ingredients and let sit for 30 min while preparing other ingredients.
- Prepare rice according to package instructions
- Rinse, peel, and julienne carrots.
- Rinse and julienne zucchini.
- Rinse and slice mushrooms.
- Dice onion.
- Mince garlic.
- Heat wok or pan to medium, add ¼ tbsp oil and ¼ tsp salt to pan and cook carrots 2-4 minutes until slightly soft. Remove and set aside.
- Add ¼ tbsp oil and ¼ tsp salt to pan and cook zucchini 2-4 minutes until slightly soft. Remove and set aside.
- Add ¼ tbsp oil to pan and cook onion, garlic, and mushrooms 2-4 minutes until slightly soft. Remove and set aside.
- Add marinated meat to pan and cook thoroughly, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Fry eggs over easy in ¼ tbsp oil.
- Prepare bowl by adding rice in the bottom and topping with vegetables, meat, and sauce (I used coconut aminos), then topping with 1 fried egg.
- Mix and enjoy.